Firearms and Non-Powder Firearms
Trial Counsel with Industry Experience
Unique among law firms, Weinberg, Wheeler, Hudgins, Gunn & Dial, LLC has developed a broad specialty representing manufacturers, retailers, contractors, security companies and others in litigation and compliance matters involving firearms and non-powder firearms, including airsoft guns, BB, pellet and nail guns, stun guns and paintball markers.
The firm’s lawyers understand the complex regulation of firearm and non-powder firearm products, and regularly counsel clients on risk management and best practices for compliance. WWHGD has successfully tried firearms and non-powder firearms cases in the toughest jurisdictions, and the firm’s trial lawyers are leaders in challenging causation evidence and excluding or limiting expert testimony. The firm has seen nearly every type of claim - from negligent marketing, failure to warn and product defect claims to negligent hiring, premises liability and claims of quasi-criminal misconduct. In the context of non-powder firearms, the firm's attorneys have coordinated global product recalls with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and counseled clients on CPSC reporting requirements.
The firm’s lawyers are frequent speakers at industry, trade and professional events, and have taken an active role in the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), the Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) and the Paintball Sports Trade Association (PSTA).
Recent Firearms and Non Powder Firearms Matters
- “Top 10” defense verdict in Missouri after appearing in shooting case three weeks prior to trial with plaintiffs’ demand at $40 million.
- Summary judgment in New Jersey after successfully excluding plaintiffs’ liability expert in paintball product liability case with last settlement demand at $3.5 million.
- Defense of nail gun manufacturer in multiple catastrophic injury cases in Georgia.
- Defense of national security company in pending premises liability shooting case in St. Louis involving fatalities to multiple municipal officials, police officers and others.
- Defense verdicts in two paintball product liability cases in Georgia involving catastrophic eye injuries with plaintiffs’ demands exceeding $10 million in each case.
- Coordination of global product recall involving a non-powder firearm with an allegedly defective end cap assembly.
- Risk management counseling on warranties, CPSC regulatory compliance, and record retention.
From creative solutions that encourage the best thinking on risk management to new ways to address novel claims, our lawyers partner with clients to ensure their matters are examined and managed carefully. At the earliest stages of each client relationship, the firm discusses litigation-minimization and cost-saving strategies such as alternative dispute resolution, early case analysis, and post-mortem assessments to review successes, outcomes and lessons learned. WWHGD uses cutting-edge technologies, including the latest in Web-enabled communications and videoconferencing, case-management collaboration tools and secure document and digital data warehouses.