Jonathan R. Friedman
3344 Peachtree Road, NESuite 2400Atlanta, GA 30326
T: 404.832.9580F: 404.875.9433
With a broad and winning first-chair litigation practice, Jonathan (“Johnny”) Friedman acts as national counsel, regional counsel and trial counsel for companies in the automotive, consumer products, industrial, hospitality and transportation industries.
Johnny is an innovative problem-solver, managing large volume dockets, high-value matters and garden-variety claims with data analytics, deep thinking and strong “soft skills.” He uses legaltech and novel tools; and he is hyper-focused on the “more for less” challenge (R. Susskind, Tomorrow’s Lawyers p. 77 2nd ed. 2017). Johnny is the Co-Founder of DataGavel, a legaltech platform designed to transform tort litigation and reduce its costs. As a trusted advisor, Johnny also routinely counsels clients on risk avoidance, litigation management and lean solutions. He works with and trains lawyers across the nation, teaching early assessment, right-sizing (ensuring that the work “fits” the risk), and smart pre-trial and trial practices.
Johnny has been recognized for his litigation skills and business acumen by Best Lawyers®, Super Lawyers®, and Martindale-Hubbell®. He has been inducted as a Fellow into two invitation- only honorary societies, the American Bar Foundation (ABF) and Litigation Counsel of America (LCA), because of his effectiveness and accomplishments in litigation and superior ethical reputation.”
Johnny graduated with honors from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was an editor of The Georgetown Law Journal.
George Washington University, B.A., 1992
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 1998
Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of Georgia
- The District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Johnny is a thought leader in efficient litigation management. He has 8+ years of experience acting as national counsel for various clients, including Tippman Sports, LLC, Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC, and United Parcel Service, Inc. His national counsel experience includes:
- Managing product liability matters venued across the United States arising from incidents involving the use of non-powder and less-lethal firearms.
- Managing catastrophic injury claims venued across the United States arising from collisions involving tractor-trailers and other commercial motor vehicles.
- Managing catastrophic injury matters venued across the United States arising from collisions involving service and delivery vehicles.
- Managing consumer litigation matters venued across the United States involving the performance of luxury automobiles.
- Managing thousands of third-party subpoena matters venued across the United States.
Relying on his experience, grit and persistence, Johnny has achieved uncommon success in trial and appellate courts across the United States, including venues as “Judicial Hellholes” (ATRF, Judicial Hellholes 2020/2021). Examples of this experience include:
- Successful recovery of $70 million for Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa against 18 contractors for, among other things, the use of improper combustible exterior wall panels, as reported by The Wall Street Journal, in litigation venued in New Jersey.
- Successful defense and prosecution of appeals in California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia and Oklahoma.
- Successful defense of a pipeline owner in multiple personal injury lawsuits venued in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi seeking damages in excess of $45 million after a pipeline explosion.
- Successful defense of a consumer products manufacturer in a seven-day jury trial venued in Georgia.
- Successful defense of a transportation services company in a three-week wrongful death trial venued in Florida.
- Successful recovery of $34 million for KBR, Inc., against one of the world’s largest corrugated packaging companies in lawsuits venued in Georgia and Delaware.
- Successful defense of a commercial truck warrantor on a bad faith claim in a five-day jury trial in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
- Successful defense of a consumer products manufacturer in a product liability lawsuit venued in New Jersey after claimant’s chief expert was struck and summary judgment granted.
- Successful prosecution of an anti-suit injunction for an engineering company in RockTenn CP, LLC v. BE&K Eng'g Co., LLC, 103 A.3d 512, 2014 WL 5304952 (Del. Oct. 16, 2014).
- Successful dismissal of a government contractor in two personal injury cases arising from wartime accidents in Iraq, see Carmichael v. Kellogg, Brown & Root Services, , 572 F.3d 1271 (11th Cir. 2009), and Whitaker v. Kellogg Brown & Root, Inc., 444 F.Supp.2d 1277 (M.D. Ga. 2006).
- Successful dismissal of a class action in Coffey v. Kellogg Brown & Root, Civil Action No. 1:08-CV-2911-JOF, 2009 WL 2515649 (N.D. Ga. Aug. 13, 2009).
- Successful denial of class certification in Roland v. Ford Motor Company, 656 S.E.2d 259 (Ga. App. 2007), cert. denied (March 10, 2008).
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers® 2017-2021, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
Best Lawyers® 2017-2021, Products Liability Litigation - Defendants
Martindale-Hubbell®, Client Distinction Award (2013-2021)
Super Lawyers Magazine, Georgia Super Lawyers List, Civil Litigation Defense (2016-2020)
American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell ®, Top Rated Lawyer, Product Liability (2013-2021)
Corporate America News, Legal Elite - Georgia (2015)
Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rating 5.0/5.0, with "high ethical standing"
Law & Politics and Atlanta Magazine, Rising Star, Georgia (2009)
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Professional & Community Activities
American Bar Association, Litigation Section
Atlanta Bar Association
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Defense Research Institute
District of Columbia Bar Association
Georgia Lawyers for the Arts, Board of Directors (2014)
Lawyer's Club of Atlanta
Morris Brandon Elementary School Foundation, Inc., Board of Directors (2013-2015)
North Atlanta High School Foundation, Board of Trustees (2010-2014)
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers
- Best Lawyers
- LegalTech News
- Atlanta Business Chronicle
- February 7, 2017
“In-House Counsel and the Privilege Problem” (Atlanta Bar Association March 1, 2012). Co-author.
"Aviation Law: A Survey of Recent Trends and Developments," 61 Mercer Law Review 2 (2010). Co-author.
"The Use and Admission of Other Incident Evidence at Trial," Georgia ICLE Trial Advocacy Seminar (Nov. 8, 2008).
"Trial Practice and Procedure," Annual Survey of Georgia Law, 58 Mercer Law Review 405 (2006). Co-author.
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Chicago, IL, September 7, 2017
- April 19, 2017
“Mobile Devices and Distracted Driving: Law, Science and Solutions,” WWHGD CLE Workshop (Nov. 7, 2012).
“Special Questions on the Attorney-Client Privilege for In-House Counsel” (Atlanta Bar Association CLE March 1, 2012).
"Dealing with Evidence," Aviation Litigation Seminar, American Conference Institute (ACI) (June 22, 2010).
"Legal Sherpa: Guide to Managing Tort Claims and Cases, and Reimbursing Medicare, under New Medicare Rules," WWHGD Webinar (September 25, 2009).
"E-Discovery and Record Retention" delivered to various insurers at Lloyd's of London (June 2007).
"Product Liability and Risk Management," Machinery Dealers National Association 6th Annual Convention and Business Meeting (May 8, 2006).
"Reducing Warranty Costs Through Smart Warranties and Warranty Drafting," Warranty Chain Management Conference 2006 (March 1, 2006).
"Trial Practice in Fulton County Courts," Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation (March 4, 2005).