Frederick N. Sager, Jr.
3344 Peachtree Road, NESuite 2400Atlanta, GA 30326
T: 404.832.9509F: 404.875.9433
Rick Sager's civil litigation practice focuses on catastrophic injury, product liability, transportation-related litigation, road construction litigation, class action, premises liability, and skilled nursing and assisted living facilities. Clients entrust him with their high-exposure cases throughout the United States.
Rick is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© as “Lawyer of the Year” in Personal Injury Litigation (Defendants) for 2023, the sole winner of this award in Atlanta, Georgia. Named to The Best Lawyers in America© for Personal Injury Litigation since 2012, Rick has litigated and resolved cases in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Rick serves as a Managing Co-Director of the firm and is a member of its Board of Managers.
University of North Carolina, B.A., 1985
Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D., 1988
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Represented various apartment complexes, property management companies, security companies, restaurant chains, and other businesses in premises liability related litigation, including wrongful death and catastrophic injuries.
Served as national, regional, and/or local counsel for various product manufacturers, including manufacturers of aerial devices, agricultural equipment, airplanes, automobiles, automotive component parts, consumer products, helicopters, helmets, industrial equipment and machines, medical devices, motor coaches, pharmaceuticals, residential appliances and tires.
Represented national and regional line haul trucking companies, national and regional waste transportation companies, national motor coach companies, automotive retailers, road construction designers and contractors, tire retailers, and individual motor vehicle owners and operators in transportation related cases involving death and catastrophic injuries throughout the United States.
Served as national coordinating counsel for international common carrier in wrongful death and personal injury cases throughout the U.S.
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, "Lawyer of the Year", Atlanta, 2023
Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 2012-2024
Best Lawyers in America®, Product Liability - Defendants, 2021-2024
Super Lawyers® Magazine, Georgia Super Lawyers List, Personal Injury Defense: Products (2018-2023)
2018 Product Liability Lawyer of the Year for Terex Corporation
American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell®, Top Rated Lawyer, Transportation (2013)
The National Law Journal, Top Lawyer in Georgia (2013)
Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Rating 5.0/5.0
Professional & Community Activities
Atlanta Bar Association
Atlanta Lawyers Club
Defense Research Institute
Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
International Association of Defense Counsel
Product Liability Advisory Council
Transportation Lawyers Association
Trial Attorneys of America
News & Publications
- 8 Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Attorneys Recognized Among Ones to WatchThe Best Lawyers in America® 2024 Edition, August 17, 2023
- Biggest Georgia Rulings Of 2023: Midyear ReportLaw360, July 14, 2023
- Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Attorneys Selected to 2023 Georgia Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListFebruary 9, 2023
- 4 Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Attorneys Recognized Among Ones to WatchThe Best Lawyers in America 2023 Edition, August 18, 2022
- Rick Sager Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” in Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants by Best Lawyers in AmericaThe Best Lawyers in America, 2023 Edition, August 18, 2022
- Law360, July 1, 2022
- Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Attorneys Selected to 2022 Georgia Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
- Law360, December 17, 2021
- Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Attorneys Selected to 2021 Georgia Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
- Best Lawyers
- Best Lawyers
- February 26, 2019
- February 7, 2017
Brannon Arnold and Frederick Sager, Arbitration Agreement Case in Georgia: What to Understand, McKnight’s, March 22, 2017.
Carol Michel and Frederick Sager, Wearable Fitness Devices: A New Frontier In Discovery, Law360 (March 28, 2016), https://www.law360.com/articles/775527/wearable-fitness-devices-a-new-frontier-in-discovery.
Events & Speaking Engagements
- 2017 Construction & Real Estate/Hotel Risk Management Conference Feature Partners Dave Dial and Rick SagerAmelia Island, FL, September 13, 2017
- October 11, 2016
"Premises Liability: Third Party Crime, Elements/Investigation/Damages," presentation, Engle Martin, Atlanta, GA, September 16, 2015.
"Premises Liability in the Context of Third Party Crime," presentation, 21st Annual Willis Construction Risk Management Conference, Nashville, TN, September, 23, 2015.
"Product Recalls and Safety Bulletins," presentation, Georgia Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, June 13, 2015.
"Expert Discovery After Rule 26 Amendments," panel presentation, The Trial Attorneys of America Annual Meeting, June 12, 2014.
"Handling the Catastrophic Injury Case," In-house Counsel CLE Seminar hosted by The Daily Report, July 25, 2013.
"Premises Liability: Third Party Crime," presentation made on multiple occasions to Firm clients and prospective clients. 2013 - Present.