Jonathan M. Hooks
100 Corporate ParkwayOne Lake LevelBirmingham, AL 35242
T: 205.527.4112F: 205.527.4199
Jonathan Hooks is a products liability litigator who has represented an array of clients throughout the southeast. He has defended manufacturers and distributors of products such as heavy and light machinery, consumer electronics, chemicals, nutraceuticals, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals. In addition, he has represented windstorm insurers, premises owners, transportation companies, energy companies, and professionals such as engineers, home inspectors, and real estate agents. Jonathan is licensed in Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee.
Jonathan has an active voice within the broader legal profession. He is a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA), and has served on ADLA's Board of Directors. He currently chairs ADLA's legislative committee, which evaluates legislation pending before the Alabama Legislature and notifies members of legislation which may impact the defense practice or clients. Jonathan is a frequent author of amicus curiae briefs to the Supreme Court of Alabama on behalf of ADLA. He has also served as outside counsel to select committees of the Alabama House of Representatives.
In addition to his legal work, Jonathan is a teacher at heart. He teaches deposition techniques at an annual "boot camp," has lectured on CLE presentations regarding litigation and appellate practice, and frequently teaches in his church.
Samford University, B.S.B.A., 2000
Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 2003
Scholar of Merit
Alabama Trial Practice and Procedure
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, North District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Successful defense of consumer electronics distributor against wrongful death claim resulting in summary judgment in federal court.
Successful dismissal of breach of contract claims against windstorm carrier arising out of Hurricane Michael.
Defending automobile suppliers against various premises- and product-related claims.
Successful representation of material witnesses in international construction arbitration.
Successful defense of nationwide mortgage servicer against various postjudgment attacks on foreclosure process.
Guidance of many Alabama telecommunications providers through deregulation.
3 years of experience within Alabama's appellate courts:
- 2 years as Staff Attorney for Justice R. Bernard Harwood, Jr., 2004-2006
- 1 year as Law Clerk for Justice J. Gorman Houston, Jr., 2003-2004
Awards & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2023)
Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorney (2017)
Birmingham Business Journal, Rising Star Lawyer (2015-2016)
Professional & Community Activities
Alabama State Bar
- Chairman, Appellate Practice Section, 2012-2014
Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- President-Elect (2022 - 2023)
- Secretary-Treasurer (2021 - 2022)
- Board of Directors (2018-2023)
- Teacher, ADLA Deposition Boot Camp
- Legislative Committee Chair
Defense Research Institute, member
International Association of Defense Counsel, IADC Trial Academy, 2016
Vann v. Geovera Specialty Insurance Company, [No. 5:19-cv-272, May 22, 2020] (N.D. Fla. 2020)
McCuistian v. LG Electronics U.S.A., Inc., 2016 WL 8729835 (M.D. Ala. 2016)
News & Publications
- 4 Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Attorneys Recognized Among Ones to WatchThe Best Lawyers in America 2023 Edition, August 18, 2022
- June 19, 2022
- Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Partner Jonathan Hooks Elected As Secretary-Treasurer of Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Birmingham Business Journal
Co-Author, Defending against Off-Label Marketing Claims in Personal Injury Lawsuits, IADC Drug, Device and Biotechnology Newsletter, November 2014
Author, "In Defense of Judicial Elections," The Alabama Lawyer 295, July 2007