Stephen A. Walsh
100 Corporate ParkwayOne Lake LevelBirmingham, AL 35242
T: 205.572.4107F: 205.572.4199
Stephen Walsh is a business and employment lawyer who has represented financial institutions and related service providers, mortgage servicers, real estate, construction and staffing companies, manufacturers, contractors, engineering firms, retailers, insurers, and other businesses and their owners for more than two decades. His practice focuses on both transactional matters and litigation.
On the transactional side, Stephen assists clients in reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts, employment agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, software licenses, and covenants not-to-compete. For clients with a large portfolio of contracts, Stephen works with the client to draft standard agreements and to develop and implement procedures designed to streamline the contract negotiation and on-boarding process, while protecting the company’s interests and minimizing unnecessary risks.
Stephen also has a broad range of litigation experience, including matters involving business and shareholder disputes, consumer finance, real estate, employment, premises liability, business tort, and professional liability claims, including claims covered by D&O, E&O, and EPLI insurance policies. He also regularly advises clients on labor and employment matters and handles cases involving all aspects of the employment relationship, including claims filed under Title VII, ADA, FMLA, ADEA, FLSA, OSHA and related state law. He also handles cases involving contract and trade secret disputes and covenant-not-to-compete litigation.
Stephen is admitted to practice in Alabama, Texas, and Illinois and has handled cases in other jurisdictions pro hac vice.
Regardless of the type of transaction or case, Stephen prides himself on serving his clients as a trusted advisor and providing exceptional service while working efficiently to achieve client objectives.
"I enjoy working with people and helping my clients solve problems. That's why I became a lawyer and why I work hard every day to help my clients succeed. This involves paying close attention to the details of each transaction or case and making sure that my client's interests are paramount and diligently cared for. At times, for me, this entails zealously advocating on behalf of my clients in the court room; and, at others, it means making sure that all client stakeholders in a transaction have a proper understanding of the associated risks and are kept up to speed at every step in the process."
University of Alabama at Birmingham, B.S., 1995
University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 1998, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Texas State Bar Association
Awards & Recognitions
Birmingham Business Journal - Best of the Bar, 2022
Best Lawyers®, Litigation - Banking & Finance, 2022 - 2023
Best Lawyers®, Employment Law - Management, 2020-2023
Best Lawyers®, Litigation - Labor & Employment, 2021-2023
Alabama Super Lawyers® - Civil Litigation Defense, Banking
“Top Attorneys” – B-Metro and BHM Biz
UAB School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Outstanding Alumnus Award (2009)
Professional & Community Activities
CLE Alabama - Employment Law Planning Committee
CLE Alabama - Banking Law Planning Committee
Alabama Defense Lawyers Association, member
The Federalist Society, member
News & Publications
- Birmingham Business Journal, December 29, 2022
- 4 Weinberg Wheeler Hudgins Gunn & Dial Attorneys Recognized Among Ones to WatchThe Best Lawyers in America 2023 Edition, August 18, 2022
- Birmingham Business Journal, April 14, 2022
- Birmingham Business Journal, March 15, 2022
- Industry-Wide Forces Cut Into Local Banking WorkforceBirmingham Business Journal, February 3, 2022
- Best Lawyers
- Construction Executive
- Best Lawyers
- Best Lawyers
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Surf the Wave of PaymentsPerdido Beach Resort, Orange Beach, Alabama, April 12, 2023
- 14th Edition1166 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, February 27, 2023
- Embassy Suites, Hoover, December 2, 2022
- Auburn Marriott Opelika Resort & Spa at Grand National, September 7, 2022
- Henry T. Hagood Jr. Conference Center, September 1, 2022
- Alabama AGC Headquarters, May 17, 2022
- McLeod Software Conference Center, March 11, 2022
- Embassy Suites (Hoover) Hotel, Birmingham, December 3, 2021
- August 1, 2019