Labor and Employment Law
Corporate Attorneys Who Excel in Employment Law
Weinberg, Wheeler, Hudgins, Gunn & Dial's Labor Law and Employment Litigation Practice Group serves a diverse range of employment clients in the pharmacy, healthcare, financial, insurance, legal, real estate, communications, hospitality, construction, manufacturing and retail sectors, among others. Our team of trial attorneys also is racially, ethnically and gender diverse.
The Firm has extensive counseling and litigation experience in virtually every aspect of the employer/employee relationship, including Title VII, Section 1981, Section 1983, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Equal Pay Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and numerous other federal enactments regarding workers’ rights and employer obligations.
The group’s trial attorneys have been particularly successful in representing employers in state and federal court throughout the country under various state and federal law theories of recovery for wrongful termination, defamation, misappropriation of trade secrets, violations of restrictive covenants, and other misconduct.
The Labor Law & Employment Litigation Practice Group also represents employers in matters under the National Labor Relations Act, including union organizing efforts, elections, collective bargaining, unfair labor practice trials, and arbitrations. In fact, the group’s practice leader was successful in petitioning the NLRB to review whether certain nurses in the healthcare industry are supervisors under the NLRA and thus ineligible to join a union.
Outside the Courtroom: Workplace Consulting
One of the most critical functions of the firm’s labor and employment practice is to provide advice on routine, yet complicated issues that arise daily in the workplace. The group’s attorneys prepare employee handbooks, policies and procedures including those pertaining to drug testing, sexual harassment, the FMLA, and immigration law compliance. The group can also assist in establishing affirmative action programs, preparing compensation agreements, and negotiating and drafting separation agreements.
Recent Labor and Employment Law Cases
- Successfully tried a class-action lawsuit in Mississippi alleging claims of racial discrimination in hiring, promotion and termination.
- Won a seminal decision from the Georgia Court of Appeals involving libel and slander claims in the private sector.
- Obtained injunctions in both enforcing and prohibiting the enforcement of non-competition clauses in employment agreements in Georgia, Florida and Nevada.
- Successfully defended a national pharmacy chain in a wage-hour dispute concerning whether pharmacists are exempt from overtime compensation requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Successfully argued and won appeals in the Sixth and Eleventh Circuit Federal Courts of Appeals alleging violations of Title VII, the ADEA, the FLSA, and the ADA.
- Successfully petitioned the National Labor Relations Board over whether registered nurses are supervisors for purposes of the National Labor Relations Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in over seventy-five employment-discrimination lawsuits throughout the United States.