Consumer Litigation and Class Action Defense
Class Action Defense for Every Industry
Weinberg, Wheeler, Hudgins, Gunn & Dial has significant experience defending consumer-driven litigation in virtually every business sector, including banking and financial services, consumer products and retail, food & drug, and insurance and warranty services.
The Firm’s lawyers have successfully defended nationwide class actions, state-only class actions, target and repetitive lawsuits and regulatory enforcement proceedings alleging violations of state and federal law, breach of warranty, deceptive trade practices, employment discrimination, fraud, false advertising, privacy and predatory lending.
Our trial lawyers have tried many of these cases to a defense verdict and the Firm’s trial-ready reputation sends a powerful message that our clients are prepared to fight, when needed. WWHGD has leveraged favorable settlements with the threat of trial, defeated class actions in early motions practice, overcome target lawsuits by defeating companion regulatory proceedings and partnered with businesses to implement litigation-avoidance techniques.
Recent examples of our experience include:
- Defended more than twenty mining companies against thousands of claims in flood-related litigation that is believed to be the largest mass tort litigation in West Virginia history. Personal injury and property damages alleged against all defendants in excess of $200 million.
- Represented major drywall supplier in the first contested Chinese drywall jury trial in the United States. Defended Chinese drywall suppliers that were major targets of thousands of claimants in cases pending in the Florida state courts. Defended suppliers in the Multi-District litigation (Eastern District of LA) involving numerous class actions and tens of thousands of Plaintiffs. Prosecuted indemnity and other claims against foreign manufacturers.
- Defended international engineering firm in a 2,000 member class action suit filed by The Lummi Nation for injuries allegedly suffered due to excavation of a Native American burial ground. Firm was successful in decertifying the class action in the Ninth Circuit.
- Defense of the nation’s largest automotive retailer in class actions and lawsuits filed across United States.
- Defense of National Football League (NFL) in claims by former players that the NFL caused them to suffer over $10 million in investment losses.
- Defense of international payment processor in lawsuits filed around the country in claims involving breach contract, business torts and purported violations of federal law.
- Defense verdict in class action lawsuit filed in Mississippi alleging claims of racial discrimination in hiring, promotion and termination.
- Defeated class certification in nationwide class action filed in Georgia against automobile manufacturer alleging breach of contract, false advertising and negligent marketing.
- Defeated class certification in state court in Atlanta area on behalf of nationally-recognized hospital.
- Defense of investment brokerage in NASD arbitration brought by customer who had lost over $1 million in stock market.
- Defense of numerous automobile manufactures in more than 100 breach of warranty lawsuits filed in Georgia, Florida and other states, including trials, arbitrations and appeals.
- Defense of hundreds of consumer mass tort actions filed throughout United States in foodborne illness cases.
- Defense of national service contract provider in regulatory enforcement proceedings and consumer litigation matters filed throughout United States.
- Defense of funeral homes in class actions filed in Georgia stemming from improper disposal of 300 bodies by Tri-State Crematory.
- Defense of home warranty company in numerous trials and arbitrations in Georgia.
- Defense of national extended warranty provider in post-trial motions practice in California in which significant bad faith and punitive damages jury verdict was reversed.