Stephen W. Mooney
Steve Mooney has served as lead counsel on more than 300 lawsuits throughout the United States, and tried cases and class actions to verdict in Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, Mississippi and Tennessee. His active trial practice focuses on healthcare litigation, catastrophic injury, employment litigation and general liability. In addition, he practices in NCAA compliance and collegiate sports law.
Recognized as a “Super Lawyer,” Steve is a frequent speaker at CLE seminars throughout the country on a variety of legal topics, including trial tactics and strategies and the use of demonstrative evidence at trial. He has authored several publications and has been a contributing editor to both the Personnel Law Desk Manual, published by the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and Labor Relations Law for Georgia Employers, published by the Business Council of Georgia.
Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., 1983
Texas Tech University School of Law,
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of Georgia
- The Florida Bar
- State Bar of Nevada
- State Bar of Texas
- Tennessee Bar Association
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Numerous U.S. District and Appellate Courts
- Represents one of the nation's largest managed healthcare providers in litigation nationwide.
- Has successfully tried to verdict commercial, personal injury and employment lawsuits in Georgia, Florida, Kentucy, Tennessee, and North Carolina.
- Successfully tried to verdict class-action lawsuit in Mississippi alleging claims of racial discrimination in hiring, promotion and termination.
- Won seminal decision from the Georgia Court of Appeals involving libel and slander claims in the private sector.
- Obtained injunctions both enforcing and prohibiting the enforcement of non-competition clauses in employment agreements.
- Successfully defended national pharmacy chain in wage-hour dispute concerning exemption of pharmacists from overtime compensation requirements under Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Successfully petitioned NLRB regarding the status of registered nurses as supervisors under National Labor Relations Act.
- Has successfully represented collegiate coaches, administrators and student athletes in NCAA compliance investigations.
Awards & Recognitions
Professional & Community Activities
Fellow, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society of the Litigation Counsel of America
Defense Research Institute
Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
News & Publications
- Weinberg, Wheeler, Hudgins, Gunn & Dial, LLC
"Profane, Sexually-Charged, Gender-Specific Language Can Give Rise to a Disparate Treatment Cause of Action," Labor & Employment Law News, Atlanta Bar Association, Summer 2010. - Author
"Annual Eleventh Circuit Survey: Labor Law," Mercer University Law Review. - Author
Personnel Law Manual, Georgia Chamber of Commerce - Contributing Author
Labor Relations for Georgia Employers. - Contributing Author
Events & Speaking Engagements
"Keys to Litigation Management Success: Handling the Complex Case" - Panel. November 4, 2011
Trials, Tribulations and Travails "Windy City Litigation Management"; June 17, 2011
Winning With Stories: Building Rapport in the Courtroom - "Emerging Responsibilities of In-House Counsel"; November 7, 2009
Trials, Tribulations and Travails - "Litigation Management in a New York Minute - 2008 Edition"; August 1, 2008
Trials, Tribulations and Travails - - "Litigation Management Roundup"; November 2, 2007
Memorable Closing Statements and Cross Examinations - "Litigation Management in a New York Minute - 2006 Edition." August 11, 2006
Seal the Deal: Closing Statements and Witness Cross-Examinations Juries Can't Ignore - "Watching Whales and Minding Minnows"; April 28, 2006
Insist on Videotaped Depositions - "Litigation Management in a New York Minute - 2005 Edition"; August 5, 2005
The Value of the Videotaped Deposition - "The Quest for Siverado: Litigation Management in Wine Country"; April 8, 2005
Intentional Torts in the Workplace - "Litigation Management at the OK Doral"; October 23, 2004