Terrance "Terry" C. Sullivan
Civil trial practice focuses on professional negligence, medical device liability, product liability and premises liability. Has been counsel of record in 41 appellate decisions and has conducted over 108 jury trials as first chair in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Washington. Admitted pro hac vice in 24 additional states.
- Two week trial to verdict defending hospital in Fulton County, Georgia, following alleged wrongful death of patient in emergency room.
- Tried to verdict product liability case in Massachusetts, resulting in significant discovery opinion by the trial judge.
- Obtained defense verdict in case against DeKalb County, Georgia hospital amid allegations that nurses could have prevented infant's brain damage while obstetrician was en route to delivery.
- Obtained defense verdict for emergency room doctor after alleged inattention to patient in emergency waiting room resulted in coma.
- Represented international medical device manufacturer after brain catheter designed to help eradicate tumor allegedly malfunctioned, resulting in traumatic brain injury and death.
- Obtained defense verdict in 2006 in premises liability negligence claim against shopping center security company in Kansas City, Missouri, following shooting; appeared in case three weeks before trial with plaintiffs' demand at $40 million.
- Obtained defense verdict in wrongful death product liability action in Jackson County, Missouri, in 2007; brought into case less than three months before trial after an unsuccessful mediation, with plaintiffs' initial demand at $9.5 million. Plaintiffs asked for $18 million at trial.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Named Georgia “Super Lawyer” by Atlanta magazine for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 in the category of Personal Injury Defense: Medical
- Named to “The Best Lawyers in America” in Personal Injury Litigation for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Two defense verdicts named among “Defense Verdicts of 2006 and 2007” by Missouri Lawyers Weekly
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Co-Chair, State Bar of Georgia Committee on the Judiciary
- Fellow, Lawyers Foundation of Georgia
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers; 2006 Tri-State Meeting Chair; Georgia Vice Chair 2005-2007
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
- University of Georgia Library Board of Visitors
- Dean’s Council, University of Virginia Law School
- Georgia High School Football Scholarship Committee
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
Admissions to Practice
- State Bar of Georgia including Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Pro hac admission in 33 states
- B.A., with honors, University of Georgia, 1972
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1975
- "Civility & Ethics in Medical Liability Law," Atlanta Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, May 2006.
- Frequent lecturer at Georgia Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) seminars.
- Has spoken to a variety of audiences at local, regional and national seminars.