Peter K. Spillis
Office Managing Partner, Miami
Civil trial practice ranges from construction and commercial litigation to high-exposure catastrophic injury claims, healthcare litigation and product liability. Has tried dozens of cases to verdict, many involving multi-million dollar claims. Has litigated extensively throughout the State of Florida.
- Represented drywall supplier in the first contested Chinese drywall jury trial in the United States; the court case became a test case for other drywall trials throughout the country.
- Represented citrus plant operator in jury trial arising out of death of worker from exposure to scalding liquid. Called in on eve of trial and tried case to a deadlock, resulting in very favorable settlement for client.
- Obtained verdict on behalf of a sub-contractor in claim for construction fees after a 5 day jury trial in Jacksonville, FL. Jury awarded full amount of claimed damages, resulting in complete recovery, including attorneys fees and costs. Also prevailed on counterclaim by the defense for alleged project abandonment.
- Obtained a defense verdict in wrongful death case brought by the estate of a heavy equipment operator who was crushed to death when the paving machine he was operating rolled down an embankment. The decedent left a wife and seven children. Plaintiff's last demand during trial was $17 million.
- Obtained favorable settlement of multi-million dollar claim by driver hit in collision with truck owned by a national industrial maintenance company. Had been called in as trial counsel on the eve of trial.
- Successfully defended operator of a municipal waste-to-energy plant in wrongful death case arising out of job-site accident.
- Obtained defense verdict in medical malpractice trial where plaintiff claimed neonatologist did not properly treat micro-seizures in newborn, allegedly resulting in brain damage; economic damage claim exceeded $11 million.
- Obtained defense verdict in medical malpractice trial against cardiologist, where plaintiff claimed negligence resulted in death of 52-year-old husband and father; plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $4 million.
- Secured dismissal of defendant doctor from suit alleging malpractice and product liability as result of death due to latex exposure.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Named 2010 "Legal Elite" by Florida Trend magazine
- Named Top Lawyer in the 2012 and 2013 South Florida Legal Guide
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Miami Chapter, President - 2012
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (Invitation-only society whose membership is limited to less than one-half of one percent of American Lawyers)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
Admissions to Practice
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- B.A., Texas Christian University, 1988
- J.D., The University of Miami, 1991