Earl "Billy" W. Gunn
Trial practice focuses on product liability, medical malpractice, medical device, transportation and catastrophic injury cases. Serves as trial counsel for major manufacturers, hospital companies, medical device manufacturers, transportation companies and excess insurers. Has tried more than 200 cases in 16 states.
- Serves as trial counsel for insureds of one of world's largest insurance providers in litigation nationwide.
- Defended international hotel and resort in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in clear liability case in which guest killed due to carbon monoxide exposure and spouse permanently brain damaged; verdict more than $56 million below pre-trial demand.
- Handled national defense of international medical device manufacturer in litigation following the recall of surgically implanted urological incontinence device; involved four trials and 750 separate cases spanning nearly all 50 states.
- Serves as trial counsel to international medical device manufacturers in litigation stemming from allegedly defective products.
- Favorably represented global defense manufacturing company after pumper truck became mobile without a driver during a response to a fire in New Mexico, striking and pinning plaintiff against a post.
- Served as co-lead defense counsel in an MDL with over 900 claimants.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Named Georgia “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers and Atlanta magazines for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 in the category of Civil Litigation Defense
- Named to "The Best Lawyers in America" in Mass Tort Litigation in 2010 and 2013, Product Liability Litigation for 2010 and 2011, and to Personal Injury Litigation in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Diplomate of the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club
- Trial Attorneys of America
- Past Chairman, Network of Trial Law Firms
Admissions to Practice
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Dartmouth College, 1972-1973
- A.B., cum laude, University of Georgia, 1976
- J.D., University of Georgia School of Law, 1979
- Faculty, National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
- Faculty, Atlanta College of Trial Advocacy.
- Frequent lecturer at Georgia Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) seminars.