Steven D. Gonzalez
Practice focuses on real estate, commercial litigation and construction pertaining to project administration and litigation. Has tried and arbitrated complex construction defect and non-payment cases. Negotiated various construction contracts including construction management and general contractor-owner contracts. He has successfully mediated complex cases to favorable resolutions.
- Represented a nationwide architectural firm in a suit initiated by a South Florida School Board alleging breach of contract and professional liability negligence. Successfully defeated the School Board’s contention that a strict liability standard should be applied to errors and omissions claims. Obtained a defense verdict on the only contested liability issue.
- Obtained verdict on behalf of a sub-contractor on claim for construction fees after a 5 day jury trial in Jacksonville, FL. Jury awarded full amount of claimed damages, resulting in complete recovery, including attorneys fees and costs. Also prevailed on counterclaim by the defense for alleged project abandonment.
- Successfully arbitrated a case on behalf of a site contractor involving liquidated damages and governmental authority approval issues.
- Represented a general contractor in construction defect litigation against a local School Board which was successfully mediated while negotiating with the School Board and numerous third party defendants (subcontractors and insurance carriers) to reach a favorable resolution on behalf of the client.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Named 2013 Florida Super Lawyer "Rising Star" in the category of Real Estate
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Dade County Construction Law Committee
- Dade County Bar Association - Young Lawyers Division
- International Bar Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors, South Florida Chapter
- Association of General Contractors of America, South Florida Chapter
Admissions to Practice
- The Florida Bar
- The Massachusetts State Bar
- The New York State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- B.A., University of Miami
- J.D., cum laude, New England School of Law; Editor-in-Chief of the New England Journal on Criminal and Civil Confinement