Jonathan R. Friedman
Practice focuses on appeals, commercial litigation, complex tort litigation and product liability. Has litigated and resolved cases involving commercial loss, wrongful death and mass disasters in courts throughout the United States.
- Defense of government contractor in cases arising from wartime accidents in Iraq, including the landmark decision of Carmichael v. Kellogg, Brown & Root Services, Inc., 572 F.3d 1271 (11th Cir. 2009).
- Defense of aviation manufacturers, FBOs and others in aircrash litigation across the United States, including mass disasters such as LAPA Flight 3142 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the landmark economic loss decision of Indemnity Insur. Co. of North America v. American Aviation, Inc., 891 So. 2d. 532 (Fla. 2004).
- Prosecution and defense of high-exposure construction litigation, subrogation matters and business disputes, including a multi-million dollar judgment in a commercial fraud case.
- Defense of manufacturers and others in consumer litigation and class actions throughout the United States, including the denial of class certification in Roland v. Ford Motor Company, 656 S.E.2d 259 (Ga. App. 2007), cert. denied (March 10, 2008).
- Defense of manufacturers and others in catastrophic tort and product liability litigation throughout the United States.
- Representation of executives, models, singers and an Indycar Champion in business and intellectual property litigation.
- National product liability counsel for a leading paintball marker (gun) manufacturer.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (LCA), an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. LCA selects Fellows "based upon effectiveness and accomplishments in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation."
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award 2013
- Selected as a 2013 Top Lawyer of Georgia by The National Law Journal
- Selected in 2009 as a "Rising Star" among Georgia lawyers by Atlanta Magazine and Law & Politics
- AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Atlanta Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Lawyer's Club of Atlanta
- Board of Directors, Georgia Lawyers for the Arts
- Legal Task Force, Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA)
- Board of Trustees, North Atlanta High School Foundation
- Board of Directors, Morris Brandon Elementary School Foundation, Inc.
Admissions to Practice
- State Bar of Georgia
- The District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- B.A., George Washington University, 1992
- J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 1998; editor of The Georgetown Law Journal
- Co-author, “Compliance with Regulations Does Not Shield Manufacturers from Liability,” SGMA In Brief (May 23, 2012).
- Co-author, “In-House Counsel and the Privilege Problem” (Atl. Bar Ass’n March 1, 2012).
- Co-author, “Exercising Caution After the Big Verdict in Barnhard v. Cybex International, Inc.,” SGMA In Brief (Jan. 4, 2012).
- Co-author, "Aviation Law: A Survey of Recent Trends and Developments," 61 Mercer Law Review 2 (2010).
- Co-author, "The Use and Admission of Other Incident Evidence at Trial," Georgia ICLE Trial Advocacy Seminar (Nov. 8, 2008).
- Co-author, "A Wolf in Wolf's Clothing - Other Accident Evidence in Aviation Litigation," 73 Journal of Air Law & Commerce 441 (2008).
- Co-author, "Trial Practice and Procedure," Annual Survey of Georgia Law, 58 Mercer Law Review 405 (2006).
- “Mobile Devices and Distracted Driving: Law, Science and Solutions,” WWHGD CLE Workshop (Nov. 7, 2012).
- “Special Questions on the Attorney-Client Privilege for In-House Counsel” (Atl. Bar Ass’n CLE March 1, 2012).
- "Dealing with Evidence," Aviation Litigation Seminar, American Conference Institute (ACI) (June 22, 2010).
- "Risk Management," Paintball Extravaganza (February 6, 2009; September 17, 2009; February 10, 2010 and September 15, 2010).
- "Legal Sherpa: Guide to Managing Tort Claims and Cases, and Reimbursing Medicare, under New Medicare Rules," WWHGD Webinar (September 25, 2009).
- "Recent Aviation Law Developments Impacting Georgia Law and Practice," Aviation Law Seminar, State Bar of Georgia (Oct. 25, 2007).
- "E-Discovery and Record Retention" delivered to various insurers at Lloyd's of London (June 2007).
- "Product Liability and More: Don't Gamble with Your Business - Limiting the Down Side," Machinery Dealers National Association 6th Annual Convention and Business Meeting (May 8, 2006).
- "Reducing Warranty Costs Through Smart Warranties and Warranty Drafting," Warranty Chain Management Conference 2006 (March 1, 2006).
- "Gorilla Tactics: Trial Practice in Fulton County Courts," Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation (March 4, 2005).
Back To Attorney List
3344 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30326