Lawrence E. Burkhalter
Practice focuses on products and premises liability, professional negligence, transportation and construction litigation, and toxic torts. He has litigated cases involving traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries, severe burns and wrongful death.
- Defense verdict for a hospital and its staff in a medical negligence lawsuit brought by a patient that allegedly suffered permanent nerve damage and reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
- Defense verdict for national automotive lobby and consumer group after two-month trial in a lawsuit brought by a severely burned victim in an automotive accident/trucking accident.
- Defense verdict in an aviation wrongful death action involving the crash of a private aircraft.
- Defense verdict in a tortious interference action between two transportation companies over a bid-contract for commuter rail service.
- Defense verdict for an international hotel chain sued for the wrongful death for an alleged dangerous condition on its resort property.
- Defended and obtained favorable settlement for a company and its driver/employee in a lawsuit brought by a severely brained damaged victim involved in an automotive accident/trucking accident.
- Defended and obtained favorable settlement for a hospital and its nurse in a medical negligence lawsuit brought by a severely brained damaged patient.
- Defended and obtained favorable settlement for a national hotel ownership group and its management company in a toxic tort lawsuit brought by the estate of a fatally injured hotel guest and his brained damaged father for injuries caused by carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning.
- Successfully pursued appeal to the Third District Court of Appeal in Miami-Dade County, Florida on behalf of dentist in professional negligence case where appellant attempted to compel binding arbitration after claim was denied pre-suit.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Named Top Lawyer in the 2013 South Florida Legal Guide
- Named 2009, 2011 and 2013 Florida "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine
- Legal Extern for the Honorable Justice Major Best Harding, Florida Supreme Court, Summer 1997
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Licensed single-engine pilot
Admissions to Practice
- The Florida Bar
- State Bar of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Florida
- James Madison College at Michigan State University, B.A.,1996
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1999
Back To Attorney List
2601 South Bayshore Drive
Miami, FL 33133