Thomas "Tom" D. Allen
Over 20 years experience litigating and trying complex civil cases throughout the United States with an emphasis on products liability, toxic exposure, environmental contamination and medical device.
- National coordinating defense counsel for major flavoring manufacturer regarding alleged diacetyl related personal injury claims.
- Resolved six alleged occupational isocyanite exposure claims for marginally more than worker compensation liens.
- Served as national coordinating defense counsel for leading building products manufacturer regarding formaldehyde personal injury and property damage litigation.
- Regional trial counsel for manufacturer of products containing asbestos.
- Defense verdict in child lead poisoning case in Wayne County, Michigan.
- Numerous defense verdicts in formaldehyde personal injury litigation.
- Obtained settlement of 40 percent of mediation award and 30 percent of pre-trial demand in chemical plant explosion resulting in breach of contract and business interruption claims.
- Arbitrated minor drowning death claim for $1.3 million with pre-trial demand of $5 million; subsequently granted complete indemnification from co-defendant.
- Negotiated settlement of asbestos personal injury class action claim 10 percent of demand and recouped 10 percent via indemnification from co-defendants.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Named “Top 500 Product Liability Lawyers” by Lawdragon
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association - Products Liability, Litigation, Construction and Environmental Law Committees
- Defense Research Institute - Products Liability, Litigation, Construction and Environmental Law Committees
- Federalist Society
Admissions to Practice
- State Bar of Georgia - Products Liability, Litigation, Construction and Environmental Law Committees
- State Bar of Michigan - Products Liability, Litigation, Construction and Environmental Law Committees
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- B.A., cum laude, Oakland University, 1980
- J.D., with honors, Wayne State University Law School, 1983
- "Single Fiber, Every Fiber, Low Dose, Lung Cancer, Chrysotile and Beyond: Examining the Impact of the Evolution of Asbestos Medicine and How the Changes Affect Emerging Causation Law," American Conference Institute's 13th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, January 31, 2013
- "How Low Can You Go? Measuring Exposure to Benzene," Mealey's Benzene Litigation Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, with accompanying paper, "Measuring Benzene Exposure: Applying Law to the Science."
- "Toxic Mold Litigation," The Network of Trial Law Firms seminar, West Palm Beach, Florida.
- "Litigating Toxic Mold Claims," Southern Loss Association Seminar, Atlanta, Georgia.
- "Steamroller Tactics by the Plaintiff Bar: Cooperation as a Means for Handling Multi-Jurisdiction Discovery Issues," Network of Trial Law Firms, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- "Serving as an Expert Witness," American Industrial Hygiene Association, Detroit, Michigan.
- "Litigation Management," Environmental Claims Managers Association, Reno, Nevada.
- "Brownsfield Legislation and Opportunities," City of Auburn Hills, Michigan.
Back To Attorney List
3344 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30326